Job Title: Sr. Project Manager -
More Sr. Project Manager Jobs
Location: TX - Houston
The Senior Project Manager is responsible for all elements of the project
management position, including:
• Managing one or multiple projects from order entry to warranty completion.
• Prioritizing and directing project activities during the project lifecycle to include
planning, scheduling, change management, design, procurement, manufacturing,
integration, testing, shipping, and warranty/extended period.
• Ensuring assigned projects meet contractual objectives by effectively managing
the project schedule, cost, and scope;
• Proactively following change control procedures as needed when contractual
objectives change which may include providing contingency plans and problem
resolution reports to ensure customer satisfaction;
• Acting as the primary contact between the customer and the organization in order
to maintain existing customer relationships and drive customer satisfaction while
meeting business objectives.
Additionally, the Senior Project Manager is responsible for the following:
• Overseeing high-priority projects, which often require considerable resources and
high levels of functional integration;
• Managing multiple, large, and/or complex projects; Typical loading of 30 open
projects (average size $50k to $500k) with a lifecycle of 3 to 9 months.
• Mentoring and training Project Managers and Project Management Associates to
expedite PM development and improve project execution;
• Significantly influencing key stakeholders to meet customer needs and business
• Monitors and adjusts Project Financials throughout the project lifecycle
Senior Project Manager is the owner of/accountable for the following activities or
work, particularly related to multiple, high-priority, large and/or complex projects:
1. Provides consultation on proposal development as required, including estimating
project management efforts on projects and scheduling projects for proposals.
2. Leads in the internal Kick Off meeting from Sales/Application Engineering to the
3. Initiates and leads the Customer Kick Off meeting.
4. Flows down contract requirements to the project team to ensure each team
member is aware of his/her obligations.
5. Develops the project schedule and allocate project budget based on initial
commitments both internally and externally (contractual).
6. Develops and manages the project schedule with input from various departments
to ensure alignment with both internal and contractual delivery commitments.
7. Conducts project-specific meetings with both in-house personnel and the
customer, as needed.
8. Follows document management processes for project documentation to ensure
compliance with business, contractual, and document retention requirements/laws.
9. Manages the scope and deliverables from vendors and subcontractors.
10. Validates project terms, conditions and commercial viability using Powell
quote and standard business practices as the baseline.
11. Participates and presents project status at Project Review and POC meetings,
12. Coordinates project management essential responsibilities with project
managers in other Powell Divisions on multi-organizational projects.
13. Develops and manages Project Management Plans, as needed.
14. Owns the execution of project activities to proactively meet project cost,
schedule, deliverables, and manages scope changes to achieve customer
15. Proactively manages both risks and opportunities and regularly communicates
to the business and the customer as needed.
16. Proactively follows the change management process to document and approve
all changes that impact project cost, schedule or scope. This includes
positive/negative and internal/external sources of change.
17. Serves as focal point for all communications between the customer and Powell.
18. Leads problem resolution activities throughout the lifecycle of the project both
internally and externally.
19. Is responsible for periodic updates of project financials including but not
limited to revenue budgets, cost budgets and forecasts, while maintaining
communication to upper management/accounting on potential risk and risk
resolution for assigned orders or other orders with same end-user/customers.
20. Ensures proper updating and reporting of project schedule status to the
21. Is responsible for customer deliverables in order to maintain project schedule,
cost and scope.
22. Prepares or oversees preparation of contractual invoicing, pursues timely
payments from the customer and authorizes payments for major buys to material
suppliers and subcontractors.
23. Obtains formal acceptance from the Customer for all contractual deliverables.
24. Authorizes and approves all project shipments.
25. Ensures completion of project closeout activities.
26. Is accountable for the commercial success, customer satisfaction and delivery
of assigned projects.
27. Mentors and trains Project Managers and Project Management Associates in
order to expedite development and improve project execution.
28. Assists PM Manager/Supervisor with overall projects prioritization, resource
allocation and overall functional integration.
1. Bachelor Degree in business, engineering or other related field from an
accredited institution and/or equivalent work experience.
2. Preferably five (5) years of large/complex project management experience, in
the construction, manufacturing, oil & gas and/or power distribution industry, or
similarly complex projects.
3. Member of a professional body and holds a project management certification.
4. Significant experience with project management functions such as purchasing,
commercial/sales, engineering management, etc.
5. Demonstrated ability to lead a strong matrix-organized team through the
lifecycle of a project including the establishment of a clear work breakdown structure
(WBS) that aligns with project scope, budget and schedule.
6. Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively communicate with all
7. Detail oriented and results driven.
8. Demonstrated ability to make good decisions based on limited information.
9. Demonstrated ability to negotiate with customers, subcontractors and other key
10. Strong focus on customer satisfaction.
11. Strong experience to deliver technical solutions to customers.
12. Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with ability to be flexible to
adjust to changing project conditions.
13. Strong computer skills and skilled in the use of project scheduling software
(Primavera, MS Project, ERP system).
14. Demonstrated ability to influence internal and external key stakeholders.
15. Demonstrated ability to mentor project managers.
16. Demonstrated ability to prioritize projects across large, matrix organizations,
meeting both business and customer requirements.
17. Demonstrated ability to effectively execute multiple, large, and/or complex
18. Demonstrated ability to manage project financials including but not limited to
revenue budgets, cost budgets and forecasts.
19. Demonstrated ability to communicate and manage potential project risk and
risk resolution with key stakeholders.
• The employee typically performs duties in a normal office environment. There will
be some work in a manufacturing environment and exposure to the elements of our
factory. Additionally there may be some work performed in the field with exposure to
construction sites or active customer facilities.
• It is the policy of Powell Industries to promote safe working conditions for ALL
employees, to make available where necessary special equipment to protect
employees against specific hazards, to reduce accidents through prevention
programs and to establish rules that are designed for the safety of all. It is the
responsibility of each employee to adhere to this policy, as well as to observe all
safety practices and exercise every precaution for the safety of accidents.
• This position is expected to travel approximately 5-10% of the time and must be
able to travel with short notice and/or for extended periods of time.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met
by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to
perform the essential functions.
• Regularly required to use hands to touch, hold, handle, or feel.
• Frequently required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel,
crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear.
• Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 65 pounds.
• Maintaining body equilibrium and agility to prevent falling when walking, standing,
crouching, ascending or descending stairs.
Other Job Information